US to Canada Movers

How to

Move to Canada from the US

Cross border moving
King’s Transfer Van Lines is here to make your move from USA to Canada smooth, efficient, and hassle-free. Our US to Canada moving company can help you pack, transport, and unload your belongings whether you’re moving from Detroit, Buffalo, Rochester, or another US city.

We’re knowledgeable of the complex rules and regulations that coincide with cross-border moves, and we’re prepared to navigate these on your behalf. When you’re moving to Canada from the USA, you can trust King’s Transfer to get the job done right.

Bringing your furniture & belongings into Canada

Whether you are moving from the US to Montreal, Toronto or any other location in Canada, you will need to follow a specific procedure before the company can move your goods.

Although the formal clearance of a household goods shipment is done in person at a Canada Customs facility in or near the destination city, Canada Customs at border entry points have recently started requesting that the moving company (van operator) present a copy of the passport and work visa for the owner of the goods.

Despite the documentation requirements upon entry, the mover is still not permitted to deliver your personal possessions to your new home until the owner of the goods meets their moving representative at the Canada Customs’ facility closest to your final destination city to personally clear your shipment. Assigning a 3rd party person to clear on your behalf may be rejected by customs.

moving from USA to Canada

When your shipment arrives in Canada, your van operator will contact you to advise where to meet in order to clear the bond on your shipment. You will need to bring the following documentation outlined below with you to customs.

Contact our US to Canada moving company to ask any questions that you may have, or to start the process for your cross-border move.

Move smoothly with a member of Atlas Van Lines with over 430 agents across North America

Returning Canadian Residents Moving from USA to Canada

The following documentation is required for returning Canadian residents moving to Canada:

  • Passport for each family member
  • Proof of length of time away from Canada (lease documents, pay stubs, etc.)
  • Detailed inventory listing of goods including their value (in duplicate)
  • Purchase receipts for goods acquired while out of the country (if declaring new goods)
  • Completed and stamped B4 form (for returning Canadians away for more than 12 months)
  • Completed and signed E24 form (however, not required at all customs locations)

Non-Residents Moving from USA to Canada

  • Passport for each family member
  • Work / study visa
  • Marriage Certificate for spouse (if applicable)
  • Employer Letter or Offer of Employment
  • Detailed inventory listing of goods including their value (in duplicate)
  • Completed and stamped B4 form (for non-residents arriving in Canada with permits for 36 months plus 1 day)
  • Completed and signed E24 form (however, not required at all customs locations)

Seasonal Residents Moving from USA to Canada

The following documentation is required for seasonal residents moving from USA to Canada:

  • Proof of ownership or lease of seasonal property (in Canada)
  • Proof of US residency (property deed or lease)
  • Detailed inventory listing of goods including their value (in duplicate)

Duty or Taxes When Moving to Canada

In the event that there is any duty, fees or taxes owing to Canada Customs, you will be required to pay before the goods are released for delivery.  Cheques, cash, Visa or MasterCard are accepted.  Returning Canadian residents will be required to pay duty/taxes on any one single item purchased outside of Canada with a value of $10,000 or more (including an automobile).  Any goods declared as new goods will be subject to duty and tax.

Our team looks forward to hearing from you!


The following is an overview of the regulations that apply to importing goods when moving from the USA to Canada.


Please note that for insurance purposes, alcoholic beverages cannot be transported on the moving van alongside your household goods.


If you intend to import the contents of a bar or wine collection, you must contact the appropriate Canadian provincial or territorial Liquor Control Board authority before you ship these items as the duties and taxes must be paid PRIOR to presenting yourself at Canada Customs to make your personal declaration. To obtain release of the shipment in Canada, you must produce proof that these duties and taxes have been paid to the Provincial government.  Ask your King’s Transfer Van Lines representative for your provincial Liquor Control Board authority contact information.


To be eligible for importation, personal motor vehicles must comply with Canadian safety and emission standards.  Vehicles older than 15 years may be imported temporarily under a special provision.

To import your vehicle to Canada, you must contact the RIV to ensure your vehicle is admissible.  You will need to contact the “Registrar of Imported Vehicles” (RIV) in Canada at 1-888-848-8240 (US and Canada).

You will need to provide the RIV with the year, make/model and vehicle identification number to determine if your vehicle is eligible for importation into Canada. RIV’s web site has step-by-step instructions, fees, and a list of vehicles that can be modified to Canadian standards.

In addition to the certification from RIV, you will also need to produce your title documents (ownership certificate), sales receipts (bill of sale), registration and proof of insurance documentation.

Note: If you are going to be in Canada for 36 months or less, you are exempt from the RIV certification but you must notify US Customs on the export of your vehicle(s).  See below for more details.

You must also notify US Customs about the export of your vehicle.  A copy of your title of ownership must be forwarded to US Customs a minimum of 3 business days prior to the vehicle arriving at the border crossing.  If you are hiring a moving company to ship your vehicle instead of driving it across the border, discuss this with your representative from the moving company.  Complete details about this procedure can be found here.


Canada has very strict laws regarding firearms.  All gun owners living in Canada must obtain a firearms “Possession and Acquisition” (PAL) license.  If you are moving to Canada and plan to import any firearms, you need to be aware of the regulations and procedures that are in place.

You will need documentation to prove that you are entitled to possess a firearm and obtain prior permission to transport it.  When you arrive in Canada, you must declare all firearms and weapons to Canada Customs.  If you do not declare them, they can be seized and you could face criminal charges.

Returning Canadians with firearms that were previously acquired in Canada must provide proof to Customs that the firearms were exported and are now being re-imported.

  • Semi-automatic weapons
  • Automatic weapons
  • Combat shotguns
  • Assault rifles
  • Carbines
  • Explosives, ammunition

For more information contact:

Canadian Firearms Centre
Telephone: 1-800-731-4000 or (506) 624-5380


Dogs over eight months of age and cats over three months of age must have a current proof of rabies vaccination (within 36 months prior to entering Canada) and the vaccination certificate must accompany the animal.

To learn more about our shipment options, visit our international moving service page.


(506) 636-5064 or (204) 983-3500


Toll free 1-888-242-2100
(416) 973-4444(604) 666-2171

For a list of Canadian Consulate or Embassy offices in the U.S, go to Foreign Affair’s website.

We hope you have found this information helpful. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us:

King’s Transfer Van Lines Inc.